Thursday, September 15, 2011

Weekend in San Diego

Since May, I had made the choice to attempt a triathlon. I knew that it would be in September sometime, just not which weekend. As long as I started with the base building for that time being, when the event would actually take place wasn't a huge deal. I knew that I was going to be doing the sprint distance (400 yd swim, 10 mi bike, 5k run). As the time approached, and might I add, my contract on my current floor near end, I was forced to pick a weekend. I literally had 3 hours to pick a weekend, not really a race for my event (I owe that one to my recruiters ). The weekend-Sept 10-11th. I had no idea if there was going to be a race that weekend, I just hoped since I was granted that weekend off without a problem.

Luck had it, there was a triathlon in one of my favorite cities-San Diego!!! And what better way, in my mind, to remember Sept 11th but with a new beginning for me! So I trained all summer in one of the hottest summers on record for Phoenix.  As the date got closer, I got more nervous-I was having problems with my IT band and fatigue. There were times of doubt-I didn't even know if I'd have a wetsuit to race in. Luckily, Desoto got mine returned to me right before I had to leave!

So every time I go on a race-cation, there always seems to be some kind of drama. No different here. I got up Friday morning, tied up loose ends around my apartment, packed up my car and headed out to San Diego. I've seen alot of desert and this drive just added more to it. Flat, sand, and boring. I was so excited to see the mountains hence the other side meant San Diego. I got into the city right before rush hour (just like I planned) and drove to my hotel. Upon arriving, I noticed that the area was really run down with bars on the windows, including the hotel-NEW HOTEL

Text my good friend Tip @tipcan for some help to find the host hotel for the Tri Rock event. The Hilton it was; via phone, he managed to get me there safe and sound. I quick ran in to see if there were any open spots and I got lucky. I would have a place to sleep-thank goodness. Unpacked my car, headed up to the 29th floor to unwind and catch with @kgirltris and @coachprs.  We talked about the race and my goal (which for me was just to complete it). I set up my transition area and bike that night and called it a day. My brain was tired.  I'd have all day Saturday to do whatever I wanted.